Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Monday 29 October 2012

Genesis Fight Club

I mentioned this in my most recent blog. This is a talk given to the UCC Christian Union on the 16th of October 2012. The reason I share it here is because it is linked to the previous blog post.


We’ve been looking at Jacob and this guy is a guy of strife. He divided his parents, he divided his family, he stole his father’s blessing, he stripped his older brother of his birth right, he came into conflict with Laban and then Leah. He caused jealousy in his household when he was having kids with Leah but not Rachel. This man was a man of struggles. He pretty much struggles with everyone he has ever known and met.
                At this point in time Jacob is on his way back to meet Esau, his brother, the brother who’s birth right he stole. Jacob is fearful for his life. He is so afraid that he gets his wives and kids (in his struggling family as most of his sexual partners are not fond of any of the others) and he sends them off to meet his brother with a large gift (think mansion ‘cos that’s the closest modern day equivalent).

                So we see he is terrified. He is trying to win his brother over and just in case that fails he isn’t even going to be there when the gift is given and his people meet Esau’s.
                Jacob himself stays on the other side of the river Jabbock (Hebrew ‘yabbock’ which sounds like the Hebrew word for wrestle ‘Ye’abeck’ which also sounds like Jacob ‘ya’acob’). The river means wrestle/struggle his name means supplant and struggle. The Bible is awesome!!
What do you think he is thinking as he’s there? This is my last night? Is he praying? If so what is he praying? Something like ‘help me God, shine your favour on me? Bless me? Protect me?’
Then, while he is praying the most random thing in the world that could ever happen happens. Imagine being scared of your life and crying out to God to help when this random ‘stranger’ shows up and decides it would be a good idea for you two to wrestle. Firstly I don’t think I’d particularly enjoy that particular method of communication from God.
I imagine I would be a bit like ‘ah, d’u mind? I’m in the middle of praying to God here to help me in my dire and life or death situation. Bugger off.’

Now I’m not saying that God hasn’t had to wrestle with me. He has, more than you know. Getting me out of bed on a day that ends in y is a struggle with God somedays (you know the ones that end in y) and God has to be like ‘Waves, come on I want to do things.’ And that’s the absolute best example of times God has to wrestle with me, if I told you any of the other ones I would likely be excommunicated. One thing to note though, He always wins.
That’s one of the things that make this piece of scripture so interesting. God isn’t winning He cannot prevail. When day begins to break Jesus touches Jacob’s hip and blamo it’s sore. It’s like the opposite of what God on earth will do next time He’s here (or well the time He’s around longest).
There is a lot of debate on this topic. Is this dude an angel? Then why does Jacob say he has seen God face to face? How can God be walking around the earth post ‘Garden of Eden’ times? Was Hosea doting then? Who’s the ‘Angel of the Lord?’ We could do a whole other CU time on this but general Christian theology (called Christology) believes He is a pre-incarnate Christ.
In Exodus it talks about how God’s name dwells in Him (Ex. 23) His name can literally mean the ‘Word of God’ and most people who meet Him equate seeing Him with seeing the face of God. (like Jacob does and Moses does also) as well as that the Angel of the Lord could forgive sins (Ex. 23:21) and in Mark we see “Who can forgive sins but God alone?” (Mark 2:7). Anyway that’s why I think the Angel of the LORD is a pre-incarnation Jesus (which is cool).

In my opinion this piece of scripture is about struggling. Jacob was a man of struggles and we are people of struggles too. There is a saying that you can only be sure of two things in life taxes and death; but I think there is one thing you can be sure of in life and that’s struggles. People struggle with money, with friendships, with relationships, with workloads, with themselves and with God. This struggling (as in with ourselves and God) is a normal experience for Christians and as such is dealt with quite a bit in scriptures.
Jacob physically struggled with God which is something the majority of us, if not the entire population of the CU in UCC through all time, will not have the opportunity to do. I don’t think I would particularly enjoy Israel’s experience by the River Jabbock. Imagine God appearing on earth and, from what we can gather from the passage, not saying anything just attacking you (as it may have appeared to Israel as he sat there worrying and perhaps even praying).

I want to look very quickly at three scripture passages about struggle. Then a little on the last question.
1.       The first is found in Romans 5 and will be on the screen.
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” (Romans 5:1-6 ESV)
I attempted to learn this passage when I was about 16 because I read it and I first went yeah, struggles are a good thing are they? But it is insane to think about it like this. There is a saying ‘what doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger,’ which is a simplified atheistic version of this passage. Think about all of the people who make big impacts as Christians. In general they are either well known or have a story full of struggle that God has turned around to make them into an amazing witness of the power of God to bless and change lives.
I often look back on my own life and I think “Lord. I would love to change that time of suffering and choose a different option at that point.” If God allowed that, the one I specifically think about, I wouldn’t know His power as much as I do, I wouldn’t know His presence as much as I do and I wouldn’t be able to speak about a God that loves so much He could die for someone as wretched as me with such honesty. My struggles and my mistakes have brought me closer to a God who cares so much. Now I’m not saying go and make dopey mistakes in the hopes that it will bring you closer to God but I am saying that your struggles have a purpose and in your life you can choose the effect they have on you. You can allow them to produce in you the version of you God designed you to be. I’m going to say that sentence again because it was a little confusing. You can allow your struggles to produce in you God’s design for who He wants you to be; or you can become a victim and wallow in your misery, blaming God and blaming people. Either way suffering produces character.

2.       Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:10-12 ESV)
I’m not going to say anything about this one because it speaks for itself.

3.       For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. (Romans 8:18 ESV)
When we find ourselves in the midst of struggles we need to give them over to God in order for endurance and character and hope to be formed. We need to involve Him in our problems and allow Him to comfort us, strengthen us and renew our hope. This verse is one to hold onto in those times. The suffering, no matter how bad, is not even worth comparing with the glory that is to come. When you are in a struggle that feels like hell it is hard to see the good, even into the future we often only see this struggle, like with the dark side of the force ‘clouded the future becomes.’ (that’s from Star Wars if you didn’t recognise it.)
Lastly on Jacob becoming Israel, he had his name changed by God. One of my sins was a thing that came to define me, some of you know what that was but others don’t and that’s okay. You just need to know that it became wrapped up in who David Cowpar was. It was defining, life changing and how I identified myself for a number of years. Most of you know me as Wavey. I have adopted the name Wavey so much that my Facebook page is Wavey Tonntach (which is Wavey in the Irish language). Although I am still David Cowpar I am also Wavey and there is a difference. It’s as if, in being granted the name Wavey, the past of David Cowpar no longer has to define me. The identity that was David Cowpar is not the identity that is Wavey (even though I am the same person). I know that sounds a small bit insane but when sin becomes wrapped in who you are it makes sense that God would grant a new name. This was definitely true for Israel who went from being the supplanter to the one who strives with God. (which is not necessarily fights with God but maybe strives beside God).
We don’t have to be defined by our sins and struggles. God’s dealt with those in the death of Jesus.

It is suggested one YouTube's  "Regrets Igniter Media" after reading this as I closed with it.

Please NB the piece on the Angel of the Lord in this and in "TotD: Samuel and God".

No comments:

Post a Comment