Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Thursday 18 April 2013

Why we shouldn't use the King James 1

I apologise to anyone who likes the King James version of the Bible; I do not, and I think that we still use it is a little ridiculous. This is part one of why I don't think we should use it, especially for Evangelistic purposes.

Who was King James:

In 1532 King Henry VIII secretly married Anne Boleyn and divorced (publicly) Catherine of Aragon, his wife. Thus beginning English Protestantism and the translation of 'Holy Writ' into English.

In 1603 Henry's sole surviving heir, Queen Elizabeth 1 (daughter of Anne Boleyn) died. This meant a new person and dynasty would wear the crown. In Henry's will he stated that the crown, assuming all three of his children died without issue, should go to descendants of his sister Mary (who married his best friend, Charles Brandon) and not to descendants of Margaret (who married James IV of Scotland).
Sir Robert Cecil, one of Elizabeth I's ministers preferred James VI (Margaret Tudor's great grandson and great great grandson of the English Tudor King Henry VII) of Scotland for King over the descendants of Charles Brandon and Mary Tudor (the line was a bit foggy this way to be fair).
Cecil basically appointed James VI of Scotland as James I of England as soon as Elizabeth I died and James headed to England not too long after (this effectively created Great Britain as, under Henry VIII Wales was officially annexed to England in 'The Laws of Wales Acts' in the 1530s and now the Scottish Monarch sat on the British throne).

England didn't take to her new King well and there were two plots against his life in 1603 alone (the famous Guy Fawkes plot of 1605, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot, was English Catholics). He became very critical and harsh on Catholics after this and it was from this that the Authorised Version of the Bible, or King James version of the Bible came about.

The King that gives his name to this book had what are called 'favourites' these men, because they were always men, are believed by many, if not most historians think these people were lovers of the King, who sent his wife off to her own castle and be nowhere near him.
One such favourite was George Villiers. James was known to call this man his 'wife'.
One Knight in Whitehall Palace in 1610 said "the King sold his affections to Sir George Villiers, whom he would tumble and kiss as a mistress."
Later on the Ambassador of Venice said that James would not "eat, sup or remain an hour without Villiers and considers him his whole joy."

James himself was asked about his relationship with George and said:
"You may be sure that I love the Earl of Buckingham more than anyone else, and more than you who are here assembled. I wish to speak in my own behalf and not to have it thought to be a defect, for Jesus Christ did the same, and therefore I cannot be blamed. Christ had John, and I have George."

To sum up. The King James Bible is written by someone who reportedly was a homosexual and who, when confronted about the issue didn't deny it but actually called Jesus a homosexual comparing his own relationship (like that of a mistress) with the relationship between Jesus and John.
So when we use this Bible, if anyone looks up who it is named after they will find things that contradict the theology of the Christians that use it, it's like shooting yourself in the foot really.

No comments:

Post a Comment