Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Friday 25 January 2013

Love 1: Brandy


The first story is about a dog, a cuddly dog, named Brandy. Brandy was not just any dog, he was a dog with a little red dicky bow and a Santa hat. A little boy named David got him for Christmas when he was one year, and a month, old. David loved Brandy a lot (he was named by David’s grandmother who was partial to a brandy every now and again and had recently lost a dog of the same name, though a completely different breed and not a stuffed toy). David used to bring Brandy everywhere. He hoped, that like he did, others would love the little doggie and his red dicky bow and hat. Brandy came to bed, Brandy came for walkies, Brandy even came to school. I’m fairly sure, though not 100% certain, that Brandy may have even come to the bath once or twice. David loved Brandy. For Brandy, the love of that boy has sometimes proven to be a fatal attraction.
If you saw Brandy now you would think very little of him. He once had beautiful ‘fur’ but now it’s all kind of flat against him. His dicky bow is long gone, and one time, when David brought him to play school, some bully tied his Santa hat into a knot. He may, or may not, also be missing an eye.
Despite these facts David still loved Brandy and brought him places, long after the knot in his hat and everything else. If anyone saw Brandy they would think him of little value or worth, they would think him quite worthless, they would think him quite raggéd. He might simply appear to be a filthy rag. He appears fit for the bin only. So much so that he has, three times, been ‘liberated’ from the bin when some parent threw him there, and also bought back from a jumble sale. For some unknown reason, in the way that children often do, David continued to love Brandy even in his raggéd days, just as in the days of his beauty.

You see Brandy is not just a teddy; he is a story. His story and my story are intricately woven, he is my oldest possession, he kept me warm at night as a child and he is a gift from a relative who has passed on. He knows all my secrets, he wiped up a lot of my tears, he shared in a lot of my joys and he was the catalyst that gave birth to my imagination.
Yes I have outgrown him, he sits, gathering dust, on a shelf in my room in Limerick (a place I practically never ever go anymore). Yet, he is there and someday I will take him, get that knot out of his hat, fix the rip in his back, get him a new eye and dicky-bow and give him a good wash and pass him on to Josiah (my son, if I ever have one and if my wife allows that name). To me he will not look better but to others he will look shiny and new. The little spruce up he gets will allow people to see on the outside what I know is on the inside even despite how dusty, dirty, broken and raggéd Brandy is.
I hope that he will then become part of my child’s story, and have worth to them and then be passed on to their child and so on.
Brandy is not important because of what he is, his worth does not come from himself. I have had a number of stuffed toys in my day, especially dogs (I was so unoriginal with names, one was blue with black paws and ears and I called him ‘Black n’ Blue’ and another was brown, I called him Brownie). Each of those other stuffed toys cost the same, I got Brownie on the same day and Black and Blue about six months before. However, those other dogs, who probably cost the same amount of money and were from important people in my life, have gone the way of most children’s toys; they are in a dump somewhere. Brandy was different. Not because he initially had more worth, but because I invested in him. His worth stems, not from himself, but from the value I placed on him.

Question:
Of the two characters in the story, which, on the grand scale, are we more like? Brandy or his owner? Why?
Then which is God more like? Why?

I’m not sure if you got the point of this little story? There are two truths about human beings that matter deeply. The first is that all of us are like Brandy now: flawed, wounded, broken, dirty, bent and sometimes even forgotten. Ever since the fall of man every member of the human race has lived on the raggéd edge. The second is that we are all God’s Brandies. He sees and knows all our raggédness; and He loves us anyway. This love means that our raggédness is no longer the most important thing about us, it no longer defines us. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment