Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Monday 28 January 2013

Love 2: Hosea

Prior to this blog I posted a blog with a story in it that shows us something of the love of God. (It is called 'Love 1: Brandy' if you haven't read that one yet please start there as this blog moves from the position in Love 1 to a second example of God's love.)


Have you heard the story in the Bible of the prophet Hosea? It is one of the craziest stories in there in terms of a relationship story. Hosea is called by the Lord to be His prophet, but, in the strangest of ways. God says to him:
“When the LORD first spoke through Hosea, the LORD said to Hosea, “Go, take to yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom, for the land commits great whoredom by forsaking the LORD.” So he went and took Gomer, the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.” (Hosea 1:2-3 ESV).
That is the second and third verse of the book. God says to him go and take a prostitute as your wife; which Hosea does. She bears him three children, all of whom God gives names I would not like to give my child, culminating in the third child, second son, whom God said to name ‘You are not My People’. Hosea and his wife are happy for a little while, but then she goes back to her old life as a prostitute. Imagine how devastating that would have been for Hosea? He was told by God to marry this woman, whom, in his day should have been stoned. Perhaps at first he didn’t love her but then he did. He loved her and they had three children together (though the Bible only specifically says one of the kids is his). He might have felt as if, in marrying her, he rescued her from a life of pain and sin and gave her a hope and a future. Then, as if he was nothing, she ran back to her old life and became not only a prostitute but also an adulterer.
I wonder if I was in that situation what would I do? Would I question God for making me marry a woman who turned out to be unfaithful? Would I question God’s ability to choose, that which is good for me? Hosea seems to be a little used in this story.
The thing God does next is even more shocking though. He tells Hosea to go and buy her back. So Hosea sets off, finds his wife and the man she is now with/she is now working for, and pays him 15 shekels of silver (lots of monies) and buys back his own wife. I imagine he was overjoyed to have her back but imagine having to go buy your wife out of sexual slavery? What a horrible thing to have to do. God had a point to all this pain and misery though and we will look at that after a couple of questions.

Questions:
1.     What does this story teach us about the love of God?
2.     What does this story teach us about us, and how we respond to God?
3.     What does this story teach us about loving others?

   There was a point to the story of Hosea’s personal life. God was showing, in a picture of a relationship, the relationship He has with His people. The Israelites often turned away from God and towards other gods and the picture is that they did it before He became their God, so He bought them out of prostitution to God’s marriage, in which “I will be your God and you will be my people.” (see Exodus 6:7, Leviticus 26:12, and Jeremiah 30:22 among others). Following from this Israel turns away from God again and goes back to the old ways of worshipping whatever God they please. But, just like Hosea bought back Gomer, God bought back His people by the death of Christ on the cross. Hosea showed his love in going and buying his wife out of her sinful life. Jesus did the same:      “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment