Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Thursday 23 May 2013

TotD: So Today the Pope Said Atheists Go to Heaven.

So Pope Francis the First is probably the most amazing and godly of those who have sat on the Papal Throne (or in Francis' case, stood near it). Today it is being reported that the Pope made the statement that all people, Christian or not, go to Heaven.

I guess you need some context.
Pope Francis is reading the Gospel of Mark in a public Mass/Homily when he reads this:
"John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me." (Mark 9:38-39 ESV)

The Pope then went on to say the following:
“They complain, because they say, “If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good.” And Jesus corrects them: “Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good.” The disciples, "were a little intolerant,” closed off by the idea of ​​possessing the truth, convinced that “those who do not have the truth, cannot do good.” “This was wrong . . . Jesus broadens the horizon.” Pope Francis said, “The root of this possibility of doing good – that we all have – is in creation.”
“The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can… “The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”.. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

Now here the Pope is saying that we are all Redeemed by the work Jesus has done. Though I don't technically agree I can agree that, even the Atheists have the chance to be redeemed, as do all Catholics and others. It is not an automatic thing.
It is possible to distinguish between redemption and salvation (some would argue that Jesus has already forgiven everyone, therefore all have been redeemed, but not all are saved and headed for Heaven)
I think it is the last sentence that confused early reporters of this story "we will meet one another there." This could sound like some throw away to meeting everyone who has done good in Heaven. That is not what the Pope is saying. He is saying we can meet each other at the thought that we should all do good and not evil. Both Christians and Atheists believe in doing good and living a good life. This is the starting point the Pope is speaking of. He isn't saying all atheists go to Heaven but that all Atheists should, as all Christians should, do good.

Why can't doing good get you into Heaven?
If the Pope were saying that good deeds alone, with no faith in God, no religious acts etc. could get you into Heaven he would really be shooting his own organisation down.
If you can go to Heaven without penance, confession, ritual and belief then why would anyone bother with Church. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that the Pope meant Atheists go to Heaven by his statement. The Catholic Church would become null and void if that the supreme, infallible, head of the Church made that statement.

Biblically, a person gets into Heaven once they have repented of their sins and turned to God.
Repentance is a haughty theological word the world has pretty much forgotten about these days, it simply means to apologise and turn away from you sins and to God and His perfect will for your life.
This inside change is reflected in good deeds (where they once weren't any) as well as other things. Jesus Himself said, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6 NIV)
There is no getting to God without believing in Jesus as the perfect sacrifice for sins and recognition of Him as Lord of your life.

Note: The Pope isn't necessarily being heretical, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Also note, even if the Pope does say everyone goes to Heaven automatically/by doing good works, God, Jesus and God's Word (the Bible) do not agree. There is "one way God said to get to Heaven", as the well known children's song goes, "Jesus is the only way."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete