Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Dublin and Palestine

This is old news, and I'm sorry if you already don't care, but I've been meaning to stick up a blog on this, so here it is.


On the 11th of May 2017 an approved motion of Dublin City Council was put into effect. The motion was to fly the Palestinian flag above Dublin City Hall for one month to mark the fifty-year anniversary of the occupation of the West Bank by Israeli forces.

Ireland has a long tradition of supporting countries like us, countries dominated and oppressed by a larger, more powerful, neighbouring nation.
The suffering and death of innocent lives is never good, no one denies that. However, Ireland has no right to do anything like this.

That's because Ireland is a NEUTRAL country.

Neutrality, by its very nature, means not taking a side in an international conflict.

Palestine-Israel is the definition of an international conflict.

Dublin City Council's decision to fly the Palestinian flag for the monty of May, and into June, indirectly violates the Irish principal of neutrality.

If we value neutrality as much as we attest to, if we want to avoid entering into international conflicts, we need to be wise about what we do. Whether people personally feel they should support Palestine or Israel is up to them, but Ireland and her political entities should never enter into taking a side in this conflict.

The principle of neutrality should mean we fly an Israeli flag as well.

I was heartened to see that the former Justice Minister, Alan Shatter, condemned the move.

Sadly I must criticise President Higgins, the protector of the constitution in which Irish neutrality is legally defined and enshrined, should have vetoed this move as it was not in the best interest of the country and paints a bad light on Ireland, and certainly on Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment