Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Saturday 8 July 2017

The Room of Your Deepest Dreams

So I was reading a book recently and in it the author discussed this old movie. The movie is set in a bleak, dystopian future where hope is dying. However, there is a place where there is a room. This room fulfils/grants the deepest desires of anyone who walks into it.

Three friends, a writer, a professor and a stalker (I have no idea if that is a job, or if this character has a creepy desire to get the person they have been stalking from the room) set off in search of the room of deepest desires.

They each have an idea of what that room will give them when they get there, it is these they set out after, and it is these desires they are pursuing.

Throughout the course of the movie, I'm totally assuming, the trio encounter things that expend their knowledge of themselves. It's one of those movies, they reach the room but then they hesitate, they don't go in. Why not? Perhaps the things they set off in search of are not the things they actually deeply desire. Perhaps the things they thought they knew about themselves as they set out on their quest are not the things they know about themselves at the end. Perhaps those deepest desires they set out in search of are not actually their deepest desires at all.

This got me thinking, and I think it is a good question to ask, what do you think the room would give you if you arrived there?

Now, the last blog I wrote I was told was good because of how honest I am in my blogs. I am sorry to disappoint you in this one, I will not be telling you about what I think the room would grant me.
In my head, however, I divided these thoughts into two: things I hope the room would give me, which I have no problem sharing, and things I fear the room would give me, which I will not share!

The things I hope the room would give me, the things I hope are my deepest desires, are a church group, building and finances to pastor and tell about the love and grace and work of Christ for them; a wife; the success of the books I write; and, eventually, the Presidency of Ireland because I am an idealist and have ideas that I think could make our little patch of land a nicer place to live.

I hope those desires and motives are my deepest, but I certainly wondered on hearing the story of the three friends and their room. You don't need to tell me, but what do you hope and fear the room would give you if you went in?

I'm gonna be praying that the things I hope, and not the things I fear are actually, or would become, my deepest desires!

No comments:

Post a Comment