Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Milk

Have you clicked into this because you are wondering 'what could he possibly be saying about milk'?

Maybe I'm going to talk about how it comes from cows?
Perhaps I will talk about the fact that it has to be pasteurized (in my day this was heating the milk to 75 degrees for 15 seconds but I am fairly sure it has already changed) to kill off bad bacteria and homogenised to mix the cream in?
Or maybe I will talk about the cost of milk. 2 litres €1.29 in Dealz, €1.49 in Dunnes/Tesco, €1.57 in Daybreak, €1.70 in Highfield Meatstores. €2.20 for Dawn, €2.27 for that other one...

No, it's about none of those things (although I have shneaky shneaky talked about them all).

I want to talk about Colman and milk.
Colman, for those of you who don't know him, is my housemate. He is 25, a tourism ambassador for Cork city and generally a really good guy with a few quirks like most people.

One such of these quirks is what the young fella does with milk...
Some context: Colman uses milk in tea. He rarely eats cereal and uses milk for nothing else.

Now, in the fridge it would not be uncommon to find 4-8 litres of milk that are Colman's (he puts a 'C' on the lid) which is mad because all the man uses it for is TEA...

Sometimes it goes off... but we won't go into that.

Other times Colman freezes his milk.

I'll let you read ^ that sentence again, because I understand it will be hard to take in.

Colman FREEZES his milk.

Have you ever seen frozen milk? First it expands in the sealed carton making the carton all strange and deformed, like Quasimodo had he been beaten up with baseball bats repeatedly. Second it turns an off yellow, headed towards green (sort of like melted and refrozen vanilla Walls ice-cream) and third, it looks really weird to see milk in the freezer.

Imagine the scene if you will. It's Saturday, Colman is gone for the weekend and I go open the freezer to take out chicken (which is pretty much what I eat everyday) and, blocking my chicken, is two litres of frozen, yellow-green milk. The carton has expanded in a way that, looking at it, you wonder if, when that milk becomes liquid again, it will actually prove to have ruptured and hencely the milk will spill everywhere.

I remember wondering the first time I witnessed this phenomenon, did he put it in the wrong door?
He couldn't have, though, could he? How would you not notice you were putting something in the freezer? It's like 200% colder than the fridge (I made that statistic up) and comes complete with ice around the edges.
It was purposeful...

Thawing it out on Monday is always hilarious. It has, like, a Golly Bar (HB plain vanilla ice-cream on a wooden stick, big in the nineties, off the market since the turn of the century) in the milk for a day or so.
Interesting the colour goes back to proper milky white, which is so odd as it looks not unlike pee in the freezer. The only bad things are: 1. it takes up valuable freezer space and 2. the bottle no longer stands up in the fridge.

Now I wanted to know. Is this weird? Or is it just me that finds it weird thus, actually, making me the weird one?

Have you/do you/would you ever freeze your milk for storage purposes?

Okay, that's me done on milk.
Go mbeannaĆ­ Dia duit.

No comments:

Post a Comment