Welcome to my blog. Here you will find things such as short stories I write, bits of novels, thoughts on Scripture that I'm reading, possibly talks that I have done (in text form) and sometimes a random thought that pops into my head.

The contents of some posts will be about my reading and will have bits of the little bit of life experience I have. Things such as "I saw a tree, it was an oak tree, I know because my life experience of primary school told me!"
Also there is a post on here about milk. Read that one, it's enjoyable!!
Some things you see here were written by a version of me I no longer agree with. I considered deleting these. I probably should. But I want to leave them here in order to show and indicate how someone can grow, learn, and have different opinions than they once held as they learn more about the world and themselves.

Saturday 10 November 2012

My Ring

Hey people, it has been awhile since I did a blog and seeing as this is coming live from Conor and Sarah's wedding I am using my phone so can't italicise, as far as I know!

Okay for those of you who don't know I wear a ring on my wedding ring finger. Most of you have seen it though little of you know, like actually know, what it means.

I have often been asked if it's a purity ring, it's not, I was too late on that one. Others asked am I married? Nope. Others think I must be a priest or some form of Christian leader because it has crosses on it. Nope though I might be a pastor some day.

My ring is a promise. My ring is a vow that I made before God. This vow was inspired by Pete Greig and the 24-7 Prayer Team, who are themselves inspired by the community of people in Hernhert, Germany, that prayed non-stop for one hundred years. They made a vow before The Lord and wore rings (not on their ring finger) to symbolise that promise.
This story is found in a book called "The Vision and the Vow" by Pete Greig.

My ring has a very different meaning from the ones that the 24-7 Prayer people, or the Hernhert people (who had fairly similar meanings for both of theirs).

The first part of the promise relates to a besetting sin I once struggled with; the ring is about how that sin no longer has any power over me.

The second is a promise to God that I will train to be the best version of Wavey there is and that I will follow Him wherever He takes me.

The final thing my ring symbolises is the fact that God is enough for me. I need nothing but The Lord my God. It is for this reason that it sits on the finger it does. It is a sign that I am ok if the only ring that is ever found on that finger is the one with the crosses on it. In other words if my life ends up being me and God, and no Mrs. Wavey then I am ok with that. God is more than enough :)

As a PS. I used to have another ring, for the same vow and promise as the present one, but my fingers got too small for it and it fell into a girl's top; at which point I decided to get a size smaller haha. The promise and vows are transferred from the first ring to the second of course :)

Now you know the meaning behind my ring; and I can point people to this blog from now on. It's not about my purity (or lack thereof), it's not about my place in the church establishment, it's not even about my marital status. It is, in fact, about my whole life. It's about me becoming the person God planned for me to be and designed me to be and something to remind me of my promises everyday, because its always there!

Go mbeannaĆ­ Dia dhuit ~

No comments:

Post a Comment